Skip to main content

W12: “Dear Malaysians, think about it!”

Racism is easily the most widespread disease around the world, as most people are considered racist, or at least affected by it in some way, whether it is personal racism, institutional racism, or even structural racism. Now racism in itself is not contagious, but it can still be taught from generation to generation, as the parents teach their children, and then to their children, and so on…

Expectations 

    Before I came to Malaysia, I was already expecting to be treated in a different way, since I do come from a foreign country, and I do have a different mindset, as well as a different cultural background, so I was already prepared to be treated in a separate way than everyone else. 

    But what I was not prepared for was how everyone else was treating their own countrymates, my first thought of Malaysia, or what I heard about it was that it is a melting pot of cultures, where there are Malay, Indian, and chinses people living in harmony, or at least that is what I thought, instead it was way different than what I had in mind. 

First time 

    The first ever day I got to Malaysia was the first I have seen racism in Malaya, and surprisingly it was not towards me, the taxi driver (who was Chinese) that took me from the airport was hesitant to talk to me at first cause he thought I was Malay, as I initiated the conversation, the driver himself told me that he didn’t want to talk to me cause he holds a grudge towards the Malays, cause they themselves didn’t like the Chinese people, which in the beginning I thought was like a particular case, but the longer I stayed in Malaysia, the sooner i discovered it was almost everyone that felt the same way.

Problem and solution 

    For me, I think the main problem is just that the grudges and hate do get transferred from the parents to their children, but for Malaysia is also hidden segregation, as I have heard from friends, most schools in Malaysia are separated by ethnicity, from Malay, Indian to Chinese, not saying that the children are forced to go to these schools, wither by their parent or the government, but it is easier for the parents to put their children in an environment that they think they would be more comfortable in, and I do have a Chinese friend that went to a Malay school, and she says that the bullying was too much for her to handle.

    So as a suggestion to all Malaysian, maybe rethink the education system, cause change can only happen if you have a stronger and more open-minded generation, that will take over when it is their turn to do so. As John Wesley once said “what one generation tolerates, the next generation will embrace”, which could have a different meaning to whoever reads it, so think about it Malaysians.








Rashed Suhail Muh'd Khalifa

2104329

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

W6 : "Dear God, I am sorry that I am thankful"

Dear God I would like to thank you first for all that you have done for me, thank you for all the opportunities that you had given me all my life, all the good and bad moments that I lived, most of which would have never happened if it were not for you. Those moments made me who I am today, from how I think to the way I speak, and treat others, so for that I am thankful.   My past           Dear God as you know I will always seek forgiveness, I will always need your mercy for the things that I used to do, I knew they were wrong when I did them, and I know that there will be repercussions for my actions, and for that I am sorry, therefor I will accept all that will happen to me in the future, all the bad that will come upon me in the future,  understanding where it came from, and for what reason.           But with all that happened I hope you can understand what I was going through, I hope you can understand the...

W2: "Dear past self..."

Sorry to be telling you this but I might have disappointed you in so many ways, ways I didn't even know I could have, even though it is hard to explain I really hope you do understand what I had to go through, every day was a struggle, every day I was trying, but it never seemed to be enough. But I'm proud of us that we were able to get through it all, after all the struggles we made it where we are today . Biggest letdown         One of our biggest achievements that we should have already accomplished was thinking we would be successful, but unfortunately, we have yet to have done that and are not even close to doing so, to explain, we still haven't managed to graduate from university even though we are twenty-three years old now, we have been switching university for approximately five years from different Majors to even different countries, all this to find some sort of happiness, something that makes me feel good about my self, but yet nothing could fulfil...

W4: "Dear mom and dad, your sacrifices are worth it"

DEAR DAD Thank you, Dad, for all that you have done, all the sacrifices that you have done, I know it is been hard, for the family and especially you, but I’m here to reassure you that we love you and thank you for everything, from the weeks, months to years that you spent away from us, all to make sure we had the best future. I know life has always been hard for you, ever since you were just a child you had to flee a war zone, had to dodge bullets just to get to safety, from a place you still call home to this day, which is Gaza, soon after fleeing to Jordan you were forced to live in a refugee camp for almost ten years of your life, relying on relatives and a country that never cared for you, on donations just to have something to eat during the day, just to have a roof above your head, and a warm bed to sleep on, so we thank you. As for all days that you spent away on that ship, all the hard nights, all the extra shifts that you had to take, they were all worth it. MYSELF  As fo...